Monthly Archives: July 2012

The Fleischmann Company

The Fleischmann Company

Source: Gems of the Hudson: Peekskill and Vicinity
Compiled by G. M. Vescelius, Peekskill NY (Book, Date Unknown- circa 1914)

Information here is for archival purposes, and is not current.
Charles Fleischmann, the founder of The Fleischmann Co., made and sold the first pound of compressed yeast used by the American baker. That was in 1868—nearly half a century ago.
From that humble beginning The Fleischmann Co. has grown. Today there are ten Fleischmann factories in operation in different parts of the country and they produce over one hundred million pounds of yeast a year.
The largest Fleischmann plant is situated at Charles Point, Peekskill-on-the-Hudson, N. Y. —a beautiful, ideal and advantageous location. This factory with immense buildings, grain elevators, railroad, wharves, and offices, covers one hundred acres of ground. There are 1,500,000 square feet under roof covering 125 buildings, including a grain elevator with a capacity of 250,000 bushels of grain. It requires 5,000 bushels of grain, corn, rye and barley, to supply the material for each day’s output. There are over two miles of railroad connecting with the various structures and providing the very best railroad facilities for all points. East, West, North and South. The monthly consumption of water amounts to more than 3,000,000 cubic feet or about 22,500,000 gallons. It requires 5,000 tons of coal each month to keep the fires going.
In addition to its wonderful manufacturing facilities, The Fleischmann Co. has one of the finest distributing organizations in the country. This consists of 950 agencies through which personal delivery service is rendered to bakers and grocers in practically every city, town and hamlet.
The Fleischmann Co. is a vital factor in our national life since it is Fleischmann’s Yeast that raises the nation’s bread.

Rye Playland’s Dragon Coaster

DRAGON COASTER

Into the fiery breath of the beast, rocketing like there’s no tomorrow- the dragon’s hair-raising joy ride turns grown-ups into screaming children. Listen to the gasps and squeals as these fearless daredevils brave the perils of blazing reptilian inferno.

The Dragon Coaster was built during PLAYLAND’s first season. Know as a “scenic Railway” ride, because it travels on tracks, the coaster uses inertia to hurl riders back as the cars careen into a tunnel resembling the mouth of a dragon.

ACE ROLLER COASTER LANDMARK

American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) recognizes Playland’s Dragon Coaster as an ACE Roller Coaster Landmark, a designation reserved for rides of historic significance.

Opened on May 1, 1929, the 85-foot high wood coaster is one of only three remaining examples designed by Frederick A. Church (1878-1936) still in operation and the only Church design left on the East Coast.

Built at the end of the “Golden Age of Roller Coasters,” Frank Darling, Playland’s chief designer and general manager, worked with Church to create a beautiful v-shaped out-and-back design, to complement Church’s legendary Airplane Coaster, which had opened during Playland’s inaugural season on 1928.

Filled with an extensive collection of drops and turns along its impressive 3,400-foot long course, the coaster offers a unique ride layout, with a 75-foot high initial drop and a curved station with a classic art deco entrance. With the removal of the more intense Airplane Coaster in 1957, it quickly became the park’s signature attraction, celebrated for its dragon-shaped tunnel that appears to swallow the train midway through the ride’s course. Even though the original two-bench articulated cars that Church designed were replaced in 1988, Dragon Coaster continues to thrill riders of all ages.

ACE salutes Playland, a National Historic Landmark, for continuing to operate and preserve Dragon Coaster for a whole new generation of fans to enjoy.

Presented by the American Coaster Enthusiasts
During Dragon Coaster’s 80th Anniversary Season
August 8, 2009

FAMILY FUN SINCE 1928

Indian Point Park, Buchanan, NY

Hudson River Day Line Park

Indian Point Park, in the Town of Buchanan (Westchester County), was established by the Hudson River Day Line as a way to increase revenue by providing its passengers a way to spend the day. Opening on June 26, 1923, passengers would come up from New York City aboard the Hendrick Hudson, Robert Fulton, and Alexander Hamilton to spend the day at the park. Approximately 5,000 people would visit Indian Point Park on weekends and hundreds during the week.

Once an area where the Kitchawank Tribe had passed through, the name Indian Point Park was selected as a way to add intrigue to the more than 200-acres that had previously served as a brickyard and farmland before becoming a popular stop for day long excursions.

 

 

With the increasing popularity of cars and highways, people opted to travel by car rather than by steamer ships. As the means of transportation changed, the steamboat line struggled financially, which resulted in the park being sold to Emanuel Kelmans in 1950. Under Kelmans’ ownership, Indian Point Park was deemed a successful amusement park until 1956, when Con Edison purchased the property.

During its 33 years of operation, Indian Point Park provided its visitors with a 100 foot by 150 foot swimming pool, a dance hall, a beer hall, speedboats, gardens, walking trails, miniature golf, carnival rides, and concessions, but now the site of a power plant.

History of Verplanck’s Point

History of Verplanck’s Point (New York)

Source: The New York Times, March 8, 1896

Purchased from the Indians August 24, 1683, for Wampum, Rum, Beer, Knives, and Trinkets.

SING SING, N. Y., March 7.-About eight miles above this village a pretty point of land juts out into the Hudson River for a mile or so, and is known to all river men and those who reside in ‘the vicinity of the Hudson River as Verplanck’s Point.
Its history has been traced a. long distance back, and it is known that Stevanus Van Cortlandt, the first American-born Mayor of New-York City, on Aug. 24, 1683, purchased from the Indians this identical point of land. It was then called Meanagh, and the adjacent lands Appamagliopogh, which is more easily looked at than pronounced.
The deed of conveyance to Mr. Van Cortlandt was signed by seven of the native chiefs with their marks. Their names are such unpronounceable collections of letters that no particular information would be derived by giving them, but, nevertheless, they were signed in the following order in the deed: Siecham, Pewimme, Oskewaus, Turhum, Querawighint. Highres, and Prackytt.
This ancient document was signed in the presence of Francois Rombouts and Guilliam Ver Planck as witnesses. The original instrument, in a. handsome frame and covered with glass, is now in the possession of Philip Ver Planck of Yonkers, who takes a pride in showing it to those who are interested in antiquities. Some of the words are now almost illegible on account of the fading of the ink and former frequent handling.
The consideration named in the deed and the schedule annexed is typical of the time before the silver dollar was in vogue. The price was “’twelve pounds of wampum, eight guns, nine blancets, five coats, fourteen fathems of duffels, fourteen kettles, fourty fathem of black wampum, eighty fathem of white wampum, two ankers of rum, five half vats of strong beer, twelve shirts, fifty pounds of powder, thirty barrs of lead, eighteen hatchets, eighteen saws, fourteen knives, a small coat, six fathem of stoutwater cloth, six pair of stockings, six earthen juggs, and. six tobacco boxes.”
In explanation, the wampum was the currency of the Indians, and it was strung on threads which, in the vernacular of the time, were called fathems.
Old Mr. Van Cortlandt died in New-York Nov. 25, 1700, leaving eleven children. By his last will and testament, which was proved Jan. 17, 1701, and recorded in the New-York Surrogate’s office, he devised to his eldest son, Johannes, in fee, “all that Neck and part of my Land on the east side of Hudson’s River at the entering of the high Land over against a certain place called Haverstroo, and is known by t:Ile Indians by the name of Meanagh, being to be separated and divided from my other lands on that side of the river called Appamapogh by a certain creek called Meanagh, and bounded on ye other side of the creek that runs between my land and the land of Rick Abrames and others, together with the Meadows that lies on ye sd Neck and other improvements made or to-be made on the said land.”
Johannes Van Cortlandt married Marla Van Schaick in 1695, As he died intestate, all of his real property, including Meanagh and the equal undivided one-tenth of the other lands in the Van Cortlandt manor, descended to his daughter, Gertrude, his only child.
This daughter married Philip Ver Planck on April 10, 1718. He then lived in Albany, and It was from this Mr. Ver Planck that the “point” under consideration received its present name of Verplanck’s Point, being written in one word.
This Phillip was the second son of Jacobus Ver Planck and Margaret Schuyler. He was born June 26, 1695, and died Oct. 13, 1771, aged seventy-six years, three months, and fifteen days.
He was an educated man, and possessed considerable influence. He was a farmer and surveyor, and held many public offices. Among the latter was that of Sheriff of Albany County. From 1734 to 1768 he represented the Manor of Van Cortlandt In the Assembly of the Province of New-York, which was a term without parallel in the history of the Province or State of New-York, the nearest approach to it being that of the late James W. Husted, better known as  “the Bald Eagle of Westchester,” who represented in his, the Third, district, this same Manor of Van Cortlandt for twenty-two years, and his son of the same name, represents it in the present Assembly.
Mr. Ver Planck was one of the best surveyors in. the province. The manor comprised 87,469 acres, taking in the towns of Cortlandt, Yorktown, Somers, North Salem, Lewisborough, and a part of Poundridge. This was divided subsequently among the heirs of Stevanus Van Cortlandt.
Mr. Ver Planck was appointed, April 12, 1746, by George II., one of the Commissioners to confer with, the Commissioners from Massachusetts, New-Hampshire, Connecticut, and Rhode Island to take measures “for the annoyance of the enemy and for securing and preserving the Six Nations of Indians and for engaging them to enter with us into the war against the French.”
He was subsequently, in 1755, commissioned by Lieut. Gov. James De Lancy the sole agent to view the places proposed to be fortified, and to draw plans of the works necessary to be erected. The places named were Albany, Schenectady, and Kinderhook. Both his sons took part in the French and Indian war. James was a Captain of a militia company from the Manor of Van Cortlandt, and John was Lieutenant. John’s commission was signed by George Clinton, Captain General and Commander in Chief of the Province of New-York and Rear Admiral of the Red Squadron of his Majesty’s fleet.

Picture from http://www.revolutionarywararchives.org/

New York State Bridge Authority Rip Van Winkle Region Points of Interest

NEW YORK STATE BRIDGE AUTHORITY Rip Van Winkle Region Points of Interest
 Source: Map of Five Hudson River Crossings; Rip Van Winkle Bridge, Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge, Mid-Hudson Bridge, Newburgh-Beacon Bridge, Bear Mountain Bridge; New York State Bridge Authority (Pamphlet, Date Unknown- estimated to be pre-1980)
Information here is for archival purposes, and is not current.

The Rip Van Winkle Bridge crosses the Hudson River at Catskill and is part of N.Y. State Route 23 which is a direct connection between the Taconic State Parkway and the New York State Thruway. The bridge is 5,041 feet long and was opened to traffic July 2,1935.

RIP VAN WINKLE REGION

 

26.  The Rip Van Winkle Trail: State Route 23-A is also known as the scenic and historic route in the Catskill Mountains area.
27.  Palenville: Here is the legendary home of Washington Irving‘s famous character Rip Van Winkle.
28.  Haines Falls: Situated at the head of spectacular Kaaterskill Cove.
29.  Hudson: The city was named for Henry Hudson. It is the third oldest city in the state-once the home port of the whaling industry operated by New Englanders following the Revolutionary War.
30.  Coxsackie: Close by is the Bronch House built in 1663 which contains an interesting collection of fine Revolutionary period silverware…
31.  Kinderhook: Birthplace of President Martin Van Buren. Of interest is the House of History, an elegantly furnished residence of the early Federal era.
32.  Old Chatham: Nearby is the Shaker Museum, a compound of six separate buildings which hold exhibits of the Shaker sect.

New York State Bridge Authority Kingston Rhinecliff Region Points of Interest

NEW YORK STATE BRIDGE AUTHORITY Kingston Rhinecliff Region Points of Interest
 Source: Map of Five Hudson River Crossings; Rip Van Winkle Bridge, Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge, Mid-Hudson Bridge, Newburgh-Beacon Bridge, Bear Mountain Bridge; New York State Bridge Authority (Pamphlet, Date Unknown- estimated to be pre-1980)
Information here is for archival purposes, and is not current.

The Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge crosses the Hudson River about three miles north of the city of Kingston. N.Y. State Route 199 crosses the Kingston- Rhinecliff Bridge and makes a connection by way of this route with the Taconic State Parkway and the New York State Thruway. Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge is 7,793 feet long and was opened to traffic February 2,1957.
KINGSTON-RHINECLIFF REGION

21.       Kingston: “Gateway to the Catskills.” Of special interest is the Senate House (1676) where the state Senate met in its first session in 1777. Also of interest are the Old Dutch Church, and statues of Hudson, Clinton and Stuyvesant.
22.       Hurley: Quaint 18th century colonial village. The Van Deusen House served as the temporary capitol of New York in 1777 which is worthwhile.
23.       The Onteora Trail: Scenic State Route 28 along the north shore of Ashokan Reservoir (main source of New York City water) leads to the Catskill Mountains.
24.       Pine Hill: Near here is the New York State Conservation Department Belleayre Mtn. Chair Lift, up the side of 3420 ft. Mt. Belleayre-from this vantage point sweeping views of the Catskills may be obtained.
25.       Rhinebeck: Commercial Violet-anemone-delphinium growing center. The Beekman Arms believed to be the oldest hotel in the U.S. was established here in 1700.

New York State Bridge Authority Mid Hudson Region Points of Interest

NEW YORK STATE BRIDGE AUTHORITY Mid Hudson Region Points of Interest
 Source: Map of Five Hudson River Crossings; Rip Van Winkle Bridge, Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge, Mid-Hudson Bridge, Newburgh-Beacon Bridge, Bear Mountain Bridge; New York State Bridge Authority (Pamphlet, Date Unknown- estimated to be pre-1980)
Information here is for archival purposes, and is not current.

The Mid-Hudson Bridge crosses the Hudson River at Poughkeepsie and is part of U.S. Route 44 and N.Y. State Route 55. Mid-Hudson Bridge is connected on the east to the Taconic State Parkway by both Routes 44 and 55 and with the New York State Thruway on the west by Routes 9W and 299.

MID HUDSON REGION
15.       Wappinger’s Falls: Town is named for the spectacular cascade nearby.
16.       New Paltz: A group of Huguenot field houses are clustered here overlooking the Wallkill River. Here too are the Jean Hasbrouck House built in 1712 and the College at New Paltz, part of the State University.
17.       Poughkeepsie: State capital from 1777 to 1797. The Federal Constitution was ratified here in 1788. Other interesting places are the Clinton House built in 1767, ~home of the first governor and famous Vassar College.
18.       Hyde Park: The Franklin D. Roosevelt Nat’l Historic Site, birthplace, home and grave of the 32nd President, and the Vanderbilt Nat’l Historic Site, a pretentious 50-room marble mansion are most interesting.
19.       Margaret Lewis Norrie State Park: Complete out-door recreation facilities.
20.       Mills State Park: The Ogden Mills Mansion, 65-room building of French Renaissance style, with complete furnishings is an outstanding landmark.