Source: Oblong to the Hudson by Harry Wirth; 1976
Information here is for archival purposes, and is not current
Route 9, Sleepy Hollow
Patentee Frederick Philipse was one of the richest men in the Colonies when he and his second wife, Catherine Van Cortlandt, built this church in 1699. Years later, in 1829, Washington Irving alluded to the Old Dutch Church in his Legend of Sleepy Hollow. The stone construction and the gambrel roof reflect the Dutch origins of the early parishioners; the gothic arches over the windows, however, conform to the fashion of Washington Irving’s 19th Century Tarrytown.