Tag Archives: Beacon

Bannerman’s Castle

Source: Oblong to the Hudson by Harry Wirth; 1976

Information here is for archival purposes, and is not current

Pollepel Island

Bannerman’s Castle was built around 1900 by Francis Bannerman, who desired a Scottish castle for a summer retreat. Bannerman ran a Spanish American War surplus business in Blue Point, Long Island. Later, the castle became a storage facility for the family business. It was sold to New York State in 1967 and was gutted by fire shortly afterwards.

Bannerman’s Island Arsenal on the Hudson

Source: Hudson River by Daylight, Vol XXII; 1909

Information here is for archival purposes, and is not current

THE HALF MOON.
The log of the “Half Moon,” commanded by Hendrick Hudson, bears record that on the return trip from exploring the river, “a stiff southeastern gale was encountered at the edge of the northernmost end of the mountains, which detained them at anchor from Tuesday, September 29th until Thursday, October 1st, 1609.” No doubt Captain Hudson dropped anchor in the shelter of the Island lying- at the entrance to the northern gate of the Highlands, and waited for the storm to blow over.
 * * *
During the three days that the “Half Moon” lay at anchor stormbound, visits were most probably made by the Indians from their island stronghold.
* * *
The Island was called after the Generic Indian name of the tribes, who inhabited the Islands on the banks of the Hudson, M’ene’tes, or as pronounced by the early Dutch settlers, Manahates, the same name as applied to Manhattan, only that this Island would be “Little Manhattan.”
There are now in the Revolutionary War Museum at Washington’s headquarters in Newburgh, round, iron-pointed wood stakes, thirty feet long, called “Chevaux-de-frise” which were imbedded in boxes of stones sunk in the channel opposite the Island to prevent the passage of the British warships, should they succeed in passing the chain obstructions at West Point.
In the year 1788, Daniel Graham, Esquire, commissioner for the sale of estates, confiscated and forfeited from the adherents of King George, “Sold to William Van Dyke all that Island,” situated in the Hudson River, known as Polliples Island, for Three Pounds, current lawful money of the State.”
Francis Bannerman of 501 Broadway, New York, is the present owner. “Dealer in Military Goods from Government Auctions” is the way he describes the goods he has for sale in the illustrated 300 page catalogue of which he claims to sell over 25,000 copies a year at 15 cents a copy. Military men in Europe, as well as America, keeping on file Bannerman’s catalogue, not alone for the purchase of his goods, but for reference, as the author is recognized as an authority on ancient Military weapons. On this island he has erected storehouses, built after the style of Old Scotch baronial castles utilizing in building the waste stone paving blocks worn out in the streets of New York City. In these castellated buildings are stored large quantities of guns, swords, cannons, ammunition, equipments- war material enough to fit out a government.
“From many a battlefield where cannons thundered,
Where charging squadrons swept the lines of steel;
From many a camp and port, dismantled, plundered,
War’s trophies numerous these stores reveal. “
The small castle seen from the south is the summer home of the owner, appropriately called “Crag-inch,” the Scotch for Rocky Island. Red flags and danger signs warn the stranger that landing is prohibited. European dealers in military goods, who are under government restrictions in the storage of explosives and who know of the freedom enjoyed by the owner of this Island, call him “King of Bannerman’s Island. ” To distinguish this from his arsenals in other places, he calls it his “Island Arsenal.” Asking if it was true, as stated in so many guide books of the Hudson, that the Island was alive with snakes, the owner said: “If ever there were snakes here it must have been before St. Patrick’s time for none have ever been seen.”
No visitor to New York should fail to call at No. 501 Broadway and view the Bannerman free exhibit of war relics. The New York Herald says: “A numerous collection of ancient and modern arms, covering every country and affair since the Crusades.” Over a thousand different kinds of guns, of pistols, of swords; battle flay used in every war in America; no museum in the world exceeds in the number of exhibits, free to see; to buy if you wish, with some exceptions in case of weapons of a character that might endanger the public safety, when reference as to identity and responsibility are required. Cash with the order is required from all, even the U. S. Government has to send Treasury Draft in advance.
The view from West Point north presents one of the most beautiful panoramic scenes “on ‘the surface of the earth, and the beholder does not wonder that the Indians were so impressed that they called the mountain after the name of their Great Spirit, Manitou; or that the grandeur and sublimity of the river and the mountains attracted and inspired so many of our great poets and literary men to reside within its borders.
N. P. Willis never seemed to tire of the grandeur of the scenes presented from the summits of the rocky crags, and much of his literary work was done on his frequent visits to the island. William Cullen Bryant’s beautiful lines dated Cornwall, seem to refer to his visit to this island:
“All, save this little nook of land,
Circled with trees on which I stand;
All, save that line of hills which lie,
Suspended in the mimic sky
What an appropriate place this island presents for a monument to the great discoverer! So thought Benjamin F. Odell, and others who prepared a bill for its purchase by the State for the erection thereon of a statue to Hudson, but which Governor Flower vetoed. Shortly after the island was sold to the present owner, he was so impressed by the fitness of the place prepared by nature that he offered the committee in 1905—then discussing plans for the Hudson celebration- to gratuitously lease part of the island and help erect a Hudson statue, if the committee would include its dedication in the naval celebration, but the committee decided that the celebration should take place at Haverstraw; The owner then withdrew his offer, and wrote the committee that Newburgh Bay was the only place on the river large enough with depth of water sufficient for the warships to maneuver; that the historical associations connected with the founding of the Republic were mainly centered between Stony Point and Newburgh, where every hill and mountain had echoed and re-echoed with the sound of the cannon and the gun; that the naval parade should include passing the most historical battle grounds of the Revolutionary War, with the warships turning at Newburgh Bay, the only available place on the river.
Mr. H. K. Bush Brown and Mr. McKay, of Newburgh, followed up the matter so earnestly as to convince Admiral Coghlan, the chairman of the naval part of the celebration, as to the suitability of Newburgh Bay, and so it was decided that the warships will anchor there and not at Haverstraw.
—Caledonian Magazine, N. Y.

Mt. Beacon on the Hudson

Beaconcrest

 
Source: Historic Wallkill and the Hudson River Valleys; 1912

Information here is for archival purposes, and is not current. 

 

Mt. Beacon on the Hudson

This historic mountain is situated on the East bank of the Hudson River, 59 miles from New York City, and directly opposite Newburgh; it has been leased to the Mt. Beacon-on-the-Hudson hotel Company, who propose to make this one of the finest outing places in this country. They own and control some 800 acres of wild mountain land, including the Historic Mount Beacon.

The New Hotel Beaconcrest
on the summit of Mt. Beacon, has 75 guest chambers. The beautiful villages of Fishkill Landing and Matteawan nestle at the base of Mt. Beacon. Seven railroads are to be seen from its summit, the New York, the New Haven & Hartford. The New York Central, the West Shore, the Erie, the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut, the Ontario & Western and the Poughkeepsie & Eastern.

The Hudson River
is in view for 30 miles of its course, from the Highlands on the South with the broad expansion of Newburgh Bay, the city of Newburgh and the Shawangunk mountains in the West, while to the North can be seen the Poughkeepsie Bridge with the Catskill and Adirondack mountains beyond

The Steepest Incline in the World
leads up to the West spur of North Beacon; it is 2200 feet long with a vertical elevation of 1200 feet, it is run by electric power and is built for absolute safety. On the Eastern crest stands a monument erected by the
Daughters of the Revolution

to commemorate the burning of beacon fires during the occupation of New York by the British. From here Washington and his officers received signals on the movements of the enemy. The top of Mt. Beacon is laid out as a park with walks and summer houses, a
Large Casino
with a free dancing hall, dining-rooms and spacious balconies, a roof observatory which with
 Powerful Telescopes
 
And one of the largest searchlights with a thirty-six inch reflector, bringing to view the Hudson with its line of tow boats and brilliantly lighted night boats with their crowds of tourists. The vicinity of New York offers no more beautiful and healthful spot for a day’s or a week’s outing. None more instructive and inspiring to the patriotism of the young man than Mt. Beacon-on-the-Hudson. In addition to the above mentioned roads Mt. Beacon can be reached by the day line boats. The casino is being equipped by United Wireless Telegraph Co.

New York State Bridge Authority Newburgh-Beacon Region Points of Interest

NEW YORK STATE BRIDGE AUTHORITY Newburgh Beacon Region Points of Interest
Source: Map of Five Hudson River Crossings; Rip Van Winkle Bridge, Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge, Mid-Hudson Bridge, Newburgh-Beacon Bridge, Bear Mountain Bridge; New York State Bridge Authority (Pamphlet, Date Unknown- estimated to be pre-1980)
Information here is for archival purposes, and is not current.

The Newburgh-Beacon Bridge crosses the Hudson River between the cities of Newburgh and Beacon. The Newburgh-Beacon Bridge is part of Interstate Route 84 which is part of a network of Interstate highways extending throughout the country. Newburgh-Beacon Bridge is connected to the Taconic State Parkway and the New York State Thruway . The Bridge is 7,855 feet long and was opened to traffic in November 1963.

NEWBURGH-BEACON REGION


9.    Monticello: The Monticello Raceway offers night harness racing-June through September. Close by is Cimarron City reproduction of the “Old West.”
10.  Vail’s Gate: Temple Hill marks the site of the “Temple of Virtue” used for worship by the Continental Army in 1783.
11.  New Windsor: Here is the Knox Headquarters State Historic Site, residence of General Henry Knox during the years 1782-1783.
12.  Newburgh: The surrounding area is rich in Revolutionary War background. The Hasbrouck House of 1750 was General Washington’s headquarters from April 1782 to August 1783. It was from here that he wrote his stern rebuke of one of his officers who had suggested that he become “King.”
13.  Beacon: The City received its name from the signal fires which warned Revolutionary armies of the presence of British troops. Here too are the Madam Brett Homestead and the inclined railway on Mt. Beacon.
14.  Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park: Complete facilities available for outdoor recreation including winter sports.